The following is an update of our current situation as of today, August 10, 2020.
The Arts Center doors are still closed to the public to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. We have cancelled dozens of our events, workshops, fundraisers & exhibits starting March 16.
Some of the things that we ARE currently planning and doing to further our mission to promote the arts include:
• We are using our creativity to re-imagine our future and continue “to promote public interest and participation in the arts.”
• WE LOVE OUR NEW DOLPHIN HOME in Cypress Village with some very generous landlords Richard & Kristine Thomure. Our volunteers, artists and customers have all expressed gratitude and positive comments on the new airy, spacious, well lit and ventilated new space to show off our members’ artwork. For the first time since March we cut commission checks to artists this month!
• We have opened with caution. Staff and Volunteers have been trained on our COVID-19 Plan: temperatures are being checked before start of shift, sanitation of touched surfaces before, during and after shift, masks required for all, physical distancing enforced, limited number of clients in store, proper signage hung, no public restrooms, sneeze guard for register, gloves for patrons that want to touch items, touch-less credit card terminal installed, lots of free flowing Pacific Ocean air through space, plenty of room to wait outside on terraces, only one way doors (in-out) and lots of great art to inspire and delight you!
• GREAT NEWS! Art in the Redwoods-Online! HAS been re-imagined! Our 59th annual AIR committee has worked hard to bring an online version of our 59th annual Art in the Redwoods to a device near you. At the center of the event will be our members’ visual art exhibit with 17 categories including a new “video clips” category. Sponsors have been secured. WE WILL CONTINUE TO AWARD $5K in cash awards to winning artists thanks to our generous sponsors! We have close to 400 pieces of art entered by 120 artists and the judges have spoken with our new online judging process. Please see full list for details of the winning artists. All of this online experience would not have been possible without the vision, hard work and leadership of our new board member and artist Joan Wood. She enlisted the assistance of our staff and fellow board member and experienced code writing master Bob Mitchell.
• Thanks to the talented and loving Executive Chef Rosemary Campiformio of St Orres we have sold-out our “Boxed Hat” fundraiser dinner, complete with optional zoom tables, entertainment, and the first right to purchase art!
• Thanks to our Art in the Redwoods’ Sponsors we have secured funding to get us through the summer months.
• Thanks to all our donors and members! Your membership renewals and donations continue making a difference. It helps to keep our staff employed, bills paid, organization strong, and planning and adapting to our future possibilities. Each dollar raised makes a difference! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!
• Our Sketches newsletter is now exclusively available online each month.
These are uncertain time for all of us to say the least. The board and finance committees are making prudent decisions with our Gualala Arts assets. If you find that you are in a position to help with the loss of our revenue stream, it would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to continue our mission – to promote public interest & participation in the arts since 1961 – well into the future.
WE make a difference with our choices.
Thank you for considering making kind ones!
Donors, Volunteers, Board and Staff all pull together!
With your strong support we can build an inspiring future for Gualala Arts that will maintain its relevance in our community and strengthen its reputation and capabilities. (Full letter below donation options)
To set up a monthly recurring auto deduction pick amount from the drop down menu, then click “Subscribe” button:
There are many Arts Angels who support Gualala Arts. An inspirational list of donors can be found here.
or send your tax-deductible contribution to:
PO Box 244
Gualala, CA 95445
To become a member of Gualala Arts Click here
Dear Gualala Arts Supporter,
2020 is a busy year at Gualala Arts. We continue to live out our mission by expanding the variety of offerings to our community and completing a full calendar of over 100 successful events. We persist in carefully stewarding your donations to ensure the long-term viability of the Arts Center operations, building and grounds.
The Redwood Grove & Grenwelge Kitchen is complete thanks to our members’ support in donations, goods and labor. The Grenwelge Kitchen is up and running with hot and cold running water, a sewer line, on-demand hot water, cement counter tops, and storage cabinets installed. The kitchen was a huge hit with the summer activities and weddings.
Thanks to your continued generosity, together we have built a solid foundation from which Gualala Arts can continue to look to the future and design its long-term contribution to our community. We envision it being recognized as a destination for the arts and a jewel of our Redwood Coast. To get there we will strive for both inclusivity and excellence – the continuing tradition of turning members’ dreams into reality, and continuing efforts to attract and encourage the highest possible levels of excellence in both visual and performing arts.
YOUR Arts Center is over 20 years old and we need to focus on some much needed repairs: replacement of flooring in the conference room gallery a remake of the bathrooms to ADA compliance and for water efficiency; and termite treatment all have happened. The roof replacement is now complete!
As a Gualala Arts key stakeholder, we rely on you to continue to bridge the gap between program revenue and overall operating and maintenance costs. With your strong support as valued Arts Angels, we also can build an inspiring future for Gualala Arts that will maintain its relevance in our community and strengthen its reputation and capabilities.
Because of our outstanding volunteer involvement in Gualala Arts, and careful financial management, your donations go a long way.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, Staff, Volunteers and Artists, we look forward to seeing and greeting all of our members at the many GArts events.
With heartfelt gratitude, we thank you for putting us on your list!
Barry Weiss, President
David “Sus” Susalla, Executive Director
Please remember the “Gualala Arts Endowment Program” in your estate planning. (TIN 94-6121872)
Some giving ideas can be found here.