Come Celebrate 50 years of the Summer of Love & Sus’s B-Day!
Dress up, down or come as you are or were in 1967!
For the 50th Anniversary of the Summer of Love Sus has rounded up a handful of friends and music icons. Making the trip aboard Sus’s Magic Love Bus are musicians Terry Riley, Bob Bralove, David Gans, and Grammy Award winner Henry Kaiser.
Riley, whose music is being accepted into the Getty this month and who has composed for the Kronos Quartet, launched what is now known as the Minimalist movement with his revolutionary classic “IN C” in 1964. His influence can be heard in the works of prominent composers such as Steve Reich, Philip Glass and John Adams and in the music of rock groups such as The Who, The Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream, Curved Air and many others.
Bob Bralove has worked with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Howard Jones, Thomas Dolby and Herbie Hancock. Working in TV with Merl Saunders, Bralove was introduced to the Grateful Dead, where he became the MIDI Wizard, song writer, musical contributor to the Drums and Space section of the show and a producer for the band from the late 1980’s until the band stopped touring in 1995.
Gans is the producer of the syndicated Grateful Dead Radio Hour. As a music journalist for BAM magazine, among others, he invterviewed Steve Goodman, Fleetwood Mac, Randy Newman, Warren Zevon and Ted Templemon, and many others.
Kaiser is widely recognized as one of the most creative and innovative guitarists, improvisers, and producers in the fields of rock, jazz, world and contemporary music. He has performed on more than 270 records, an average of six to seven per years since 1977.
Other Summer of Love events include:
- Live Music – “1967 A Musical Review” Directed by Laura Leigh, Live Liquid Light Show produced by Bob Mitchell, Live Psychedelic Concert, produced by Sus, Dancing & Twirling, Stilt Walker
- Great Food – “not”Alice B Toklas Brownies, Kind Veggie Burritos, Fruit Kabobs, Sexy Grilled Cheese, PB&J Sandwiches, Fire in BBQ to cook your own picnic, Solar Powered Kool Aide, No-host Bar
- 1967 inspired Art Exhibit -Bill Graham Posters, Willie B’s BGB Post card collection, original Stanley Mouse paintings, 1967 Joint Show Poster
- Bring your blanket trade and/or sale of your offerings (commissions optional to Global Harmony Series)
- Interactive tie-dyeing station – buy a summer of love fest shirt and dye it yourself or bring your own cloths and create some fashion!
FUN & FREE… 4 all!
Thanks to Gualala Arts Global Harmony Series, Local & Traveling Artists, Art Edibles and all the volunteers and wonderful community of patrons for sponsoring the day’s festivities!
No gifts please. (Donations may be made in Sus’s honor to Gualala Arts Global Harmony Series)