The following is an update of our current situation as of today, March 22, 2020. We have closed our doors to the public until April 7 (at the very earliest and perhaps into the summer) to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 as mandated by our county and state. We have cancelled dozens of our events, workshops, fundraisers & exhibits through the April, May & beyond.
Some of the things that we are doing currently to further our mission to promote the arts include:
- Hosting some of our workshops as Webinars, exploring virtual exhibits and other tech savvy experiences so that folks can continue to develop their skillsets and explore new media from the safety of home.
- Posting our current Arts in the School exhibit to our social media sites in a virtual gallery setting so the families and young artists can experience their work. Our goal is to have every young artist entry online (over 500 works!) by the end of March.
- Proposing a new exhibit entitled Shelter from the Storm: Art in the Time of Covid-19. We encourage artists & non-artists alike to create art while sheltering in their homes. We are looking forward to seeing what everyone has been working on to keep themselves busy while sheltering in their homes.
- We are in final phases of our yearlong maintenance projects to maintain & preserve our building. We have engaged Trent Kreck to power wash, seal & stain the exterior of Gualala Arts. This is one of the last phases of exterior maintenance. Two phases, which were recently completed included termite & beetle removal and the installation of a new roof. All of these projects are expected to protect our building for many years to come.
- As most of you know, we have lost our location at the Sundstrom Mall. Thankfully, we have located a prime location in Uptown Gualala which should prove be very successful for the Gualala Arts Gallery & Dolphin Gift Shop. Of course, this will require funds for the relocation, signage and store set-up.
- As always, our Sketches newsletter is available online, but we will not be mailing Sketches in April and possibly May and into the future as warranted to save resources.
These are uncertain time for all of us to say the least. The board and finance committees are making prudent decisions with our Gualala Arts assets. If you find that you are in a position to help with the loss of our revenue stream, it would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to continue our mission – to promote public interest & participation in the arts since 1961 – well into the future.
WE make a difference with our choices.
Thank you for considering making kind ones!